Kirill Sokolovsky at the Vaganova Ballet Academy
- Faroe Islands say yes to same-sex marriage
- Colombian court legalises same-sex marriage
- Egypt jails several men for years for being gay
- US public divided on anti-trans bathroom bills
- St. Petersburg lets Nazis march, arrests gays
- Boy raped with broom in ‘No Gay Thursday’ attack at US school
- Straight man attacked for ‘looking pretty gay’ in Canada
- China’s censors bans depictions of gay people on television
- Court in Rome, Italy recognizes same-sex couple adoption
- Switzerland narrowly rejects block of same-sex marriage
Dima Sedgwick (click for more)
- 6 people stabbed at Jerusalem gay pride march
- Putin’s party launches a “straight pride” flag
- Why is there no marriage equality in Germany?
- Australian PM about to break equality vote promise?
- Actor amazed by impact of gay storyline on The Fosters
While we’re making slow but steady progress on several queer rights fronts it’s important not to forget that there’s a lot of catching up to do in some places.
Achievements like marriage equality, anti-bullying laws and out celebrities have helped to normalise the view on the queer aspects of sexuality & gender in many countries. In these places kids grow up learning that the love between two people of the same gender is every bit as real as any other kind. You won’t raise any eyebrows if you’re out on the streets, holding hands with your boyfriend in a town in Norway, Scotland or the Netherlands.
The same can’t be said about countries like Russia, which actually have and enforce anti-gay “propaganda” laws, as the little experiment by Russian YouTuber ChebuRussiaTV below will make obvious.
The start of the video is very loud // Don’t forget to enable subtitles
Keep in mind that this was done in Moscow, the most modern and progressive place you’ll find in Russia. I’d rather not imagine what would happened in a smaller town. And that does not only apply to Russia.
While it’s tempting to approach the issue from the high horse of “modern Western values” one should not forget that this horse is a pretty hypocritical nag. People get beat up in places like Germany for being gay, people get murdered for being transgender in America and kids get bullied into suicide all over the world.
There’s a lot to do.
- Portugal’s parliament votes down gay adoption
- Russian founder of queer teen support group fined
- Israel to allow sex changes on ID without surgery
- Lawmakers in Chile set to approve gay civil unions
- US government spent nearly $500k to study Grindr
- Page 1 of 2